Category : cooking , 1 year ago
20 General Cooking Tips
1. When frying, the oil should be in the correct temperature. If it’s too hot, the outside will get browned up too quickly before the inside gets cooked. If it’s not hot enough, the fried food will absorb too much oil before getting cooked.
2. To make crispier puris, add a little rava to the wheat flour while kneading.
3. To make crispier bajjis add a little corn flour to the gram flour to make bajji batter.
4. Use a deep vessel to fry chicken to avoid the splashing of oil and juices all around the place.
5. To knead chapattis, add 1/3 cup of warm water for 1 cup of flour approximately. To make softer chapattis, add warm milk or curd while kneading.
6. Use heavy bottomed vessel to make upma, kheer etc to prevent burning.
7. Toasting nuts, rice, rava and dal before cooking with it increases its flavors considerably.
8. Adding few drops of oil to the rice before cooking it will prevent it from becoming sticky.
9. Do not wash the mushrooms with water. Clean it with a damp cloth. Add salt to the mushroom only after it has browned.
10. Similarly adding salt to the chicken also slows up the browning.
11. To peel the skin of almonds, tomatoes or peaches, simply soak in boiling water for 5-10 minutes. The skin can be easily removed.
12. To remove the corn from its cub, hold it straight with one end on the bottom of a big vessel. Then strip the corn with a knife. This will prevent messing up of the entire place.
13. When cutting raw banana, potatoes or eggplant, soak it in water to avoid discoloration. Similarly, to prevent apples, bananas or peaches from browning, add lemon juice.
14. Use the excess dal water from boiling dal to make rasam.
15. While adding curd to gravies or biryani, break it nicely before adding.
16. While boiling milk, a little water can be added to the vessel before adding the milk to avoid the milk from sticking to the bottom.
17. Store nuts in the refrigerator to increase their shelf life.
18. To separate each string of noodles or any thin pasta, run it under cold water immediately after boiling and draining the water.
19. Curd in winter - Set in a ceramic container and place it on the voltage stabilizer of your refrigerator.
20. To cut meat easily, freeze it for some time before cutting.
21. Do not wash the vegetables after peeling or chopping. This will wash out all the water soluble vitamins